A former Phoenix resident died this weekend after being bitten by a Black Mamba. He was handling the snake in order to extract venom for medical purposes.
Ryan Soobrayan relocated to Gauteng from Durban and became the farm manager for African Reptiles and Venom – a company that deals with all things snake.
While Soobrayan was handling the snake, a fang punctured his finger. He died of anaphylaxis – a severe allergic reaction.
According to experts, the risks of handling deadly snakes are real. However, this line of work is critical to the medical community.